Thursday, February 10, 2011

Delicious Red Velvet Cake Recipe just in time for Valentine's




Of course Red Velvet cake isn't just for Valentine's Day but if you're like most people you generally think about it more near V-Day. So I've been searching for a great scratch red velvet and I think I've found it! I ran across this recipe on Bakerella the other day and gave it a try tonight.



I decided to try mine as cupcakes. I also used the cream cheese icing from that recipe. My oh my!! It was so good. I've never been a huge red velvet fan. I really only like it because of the rich beautiful color but this cake has got to be one of the best's I've ever eaten! Give it a try and you won't be disappointed!





I'm planning on giving these out to my daughters gymnastics coaches and saving some for family so I wanted to make them extra cute. My friend Christy owns ItsyBelle and she's got a great blog. She has free Valentine's printables and that's where I got the adorable little toppers! Check her blog out and get your own free toppers here! You just print out the file on cardstock from your own home printer and cut them out with a circle cutter. I would have liked to have a scalloped look but I only have a 2" round cutter and I was wanting something fast. I've also used fancy scissors to cut these out before (I had some for my kids birthday party) and just cut them in squares. I actually kind of like that look better. So you don't have to go out and get a paper punch, just use what you've got! :)



I added edible glitter and heart sprinkles to my cupcakes before inserting the toppers. They turned out cute and even better they taste amazing!! If you're into red velvet make this cake! You will be so glad you did!

3 comments:

Nicole said...

THANK you sooo much! I decided im making these for Valentine's day! :)

Lot-O-Choc said...

Oh yum these look lovely, red velvet definately is the perfect cake for Valentines day!

ItsyBelle said...

These look sooo good! Thank you for including my Valentine's Printables! You are brave making R.V. from scratch! I've only made it altering a box mix before. :)

Post a Comment