Monday, February 21, 2011

Easy Week Night Chicken Enchiladas

I know I know - it's been a while since I've blogged. But what can I say - I'm a busy mom with a deployed hubby....who's coming home in a couple weeks!!! I'm so excited. I've been pretty busy getting things in order and trying to get the house cleaned and our cruise that we'll be taking the end of March in order. SOOO needless to say I haven't been doing much crafting. But I still have to cook dinner for my kids! So today's blog is for a tried (over and over and over) and true delicious Chicken Enchilada recipe I got from my sister many years ago. Thanks Barbie! :)


These are delicious and creamy chicken enchiladas made with green enchilada sauce! They are easy to make and can even be made ahead of time and just put in the oven and baked when you're ready to eat!

Ingredients you'll need -
  • About 3 chicken breast halves cut into 1" cubes
  • 2 (8oz) packages of cream cheese. I like to use 1/3 less fat. The fat free doesn't melt down as nice.
  • 2 (10oz) cans of green enchilada sauce
  • 2 (4oz) cans of mild diced chilis
  • Burrito sized package of flour tortillas. I like to use the 96% fat free, carb balance or light tortillas. I've also used wheat with nice results.
  • Approximately 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese. You can use light cheese if desired.
Preheat your oven to 350ยบ
Spray a nonstick skillet with pan spray and brown your chicken cubes.
Add the cream cheese and chilis cooking until the cream cheese in fully melted. Take off the heat and set aside.

Prepare a 9x13" pan with cooking spray. Open one can of enchilada sauce and pour half of it into the 9x13". Pick up the pan and roll it around until the sauce coats the bottom of the pan.

Place a small amount of chicken mixture on to each tortilla and wrap like a burrito.

I like to leave my ends open and roll each enchilada skinny - but this is totally up to you. Place each enchilada seam side down in the 9x13 until you've made them all and filled up your pan.

Pour the rest of the enchilada sauce (1 1/2 cans) over the enchiladas and sprinkle with the cheddar cheese.

Bake for 30 min or until cheese is melted and enchilada's are thoroughly heated through.
Let stand for 10 min before serving.

Enjoy!!

They are super yummy and if you make them with 1/3 less cream cheese, lower fat/calorie/carb/wheat tortillas and light cheese they are MUCH healthier than restaurant enchiladas. I've tried them with the wheat tortilla's but I like using the 96% fat free lower carb tortilla's the best. They just seem to taste better and have the same texture as the normal ones. The wheat are good too but have a little different taste/texture.

I hope you like them! :)

1 comments:

Itsy Belle said...

Larae, I just gave your blog an award.. check it out on my blog ;)
Christy

Post a Comment