Monday, August 1, 2011

Super Easy Freezer Jam for Gift Giving!


I don't know about you, but I have a few favorite things my mom makes that I just LOVE and never really make myself because it's something I get from good ol' mom!! Jam has always been one of those things. My mom make the BEST raspberry freezer jam!

Well a few months ago my friend posted on facebook that she had just made some strawberry jam (I think it was strawberry) and that made me remember about mom's jam that I haven't had in so long. For those of you that don't know I am married to an airman (Proud USAF wife here!!) and we live in Louisiana but almost all our family lives in Washington State...soooo far away!! Needless to say I figured I better figure out how to make myself some jam cause momma lives too far away now! :P

I went out and bought some strawberries, some cute little wide mouth 4oz jelly jars and a container of pectin. I found a great one that is no cook and specifically for freezer jam. It's called Instant Pectin and it's made by Ball.

I came home and made some jam in just about an hour!!


I'll be honest, it's a little runnier than I would like, but hey; it spreads and it's really good so I'm happy with my first attempt! :P

I wanted to make it really cute so I went to pinterest (my new favorite website I think!) and searched for free printable jam labels. I found these here. She makes them for like 5 different kinds of jam and they are so cute! I printed the big labels and the homemade sticker label out on full sheet label paper and then used my 2" circle cutter for the big label and scissors for the little label. I put the circle label on the top of the lid, and the homemade heart label on the side of the jar. I then printed the tag out on cardstock. I cut fabric out with my pinking shears and tied them around the lid with white ribbon. I then attached the label with a bow.


I think they turned out so cute!!

And I loved them so much that I decided to make a blueberry batch! There is a cute little U-Pick place in my town I recently learned of thanks to a neighbor/friend so I picked fresh blueberries and made some jam! :)


I used the same labels, but the ones for blueberry jam. This time I used a little different jar and put the fabric under the rim lid. I'm not sure which ones I like better because they are both so cute!

I figured I'd blog about it because it's a great time to get berries of all kinds and make this SUPER simple recipe! Package them super cute and freeze them. They will freeze for up to a year so they are great little gifts to have on hand. I think it'd be such a cute teacher gift!

Freezer jam is good in the freezer for 12 months and in the fridge for 3 weeks. The recipe I used can be found on the Ball pectin label. Also both my strawberry AND blueberry batches were LOW sugar and taste SOOO much better than the low sugar jam/jelly you buy in the store. Plus it's super fresh and costs less!

I hope you try it yourself! If you do let me know how it turns out.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love them! You should send me a sample of each in the mail and I'll let you know which one I like better :) Can you make jam using splenda or truvia??? Just a thought!

Love you! -Sami

Post a Comment