Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Busy morning - Back to School breakfast sandwiches and DIY coffee syrups

Photo courtesy of www.macheesmo.com
So I'm sure you've heard me say before my new addiction is Pinterest!! BIG TIME!! Well the other day I ran across a pin for breakfast sandwiches on www.macheesmo.com. At first I didn't think anything of it because I've made them in many variations on many occassions for breakfast, but then I read the blog post.

These are great because she tells how to make a bunch at a time and freeze for later eating! I thought that works great for our busy morning schedule now that my daughter is in Pre-K. We get up at 6am and have to be out the door by 630am so I'm usually sending her to school with a pop-tart or granola bar. Sometimes fruit when I'm feeling guilty for feeding her all that processed food. Not to mention I have to figure out what to send my hubby to work with in the mornings because after PT (he's military) he's starving.

So tonight I decided to try it out! I got 2 packs of whole wheat english muffins, a dozen eggs, some cheese and some sliced ham for mine. Get the recipe here.

I made them just as she said except I added the ham. It didn't take long at all and now I have TWELVE breakfasts all ready to go so I don't have to worry! Here are some tips/variations I thought of while making mine -
  • To make it even more healthy use egg whites - just pour some egg whites from the carton into each muffin tin - even easier than eggs!
  • Use turkey bacon! It's a staple in our house because my family loves bacon but I don't like that it's so fattening so we use turkey bacon.
  • Use lowfat cheese or skip the cheese all together
Have you ever had Starbucks Turkey Bacon Egg sandwich for breakfast in the morning while getting your coffee??

I have - and it's good so I've gotten it alot and every time I think man that was expensive!! Now you can make your own sandwich and coffee in the morning! Check out this post on how to make your own flavored coffee syrups! You can also find other recipes for DIY flavored syrups on pinterest.com.

Picture courtesy of www.annie-eats.net

I hope you try this out and it helps your morning breakfast routine. They say breakfast is the most important meal of the day! Happy eats!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment