Sunday, January 5, 2014

Ornate Mirror Re-do



So yes, I've been gone for so long!! I haven't really been doing my blog because I've been so busy. A lot has changed! My hubby got orders to a new station and we've been taking the past year to really settle down. We purchased a new home here (new to us) and I've decided I'm going to blog some of our projects! We've done A LOT of things so far in this house! We did an almost complete kitchen remodel, put in hardwood floors, new carpet, built a lot of custom furniture, decorated a tad, did the kids rooms, and guest bedroom, and still have so much more to do!! We're really enjoying it here so far, and I'm loving being able to start fresh in a new home!

So today's post is about how to paint and old ornate mirror. At our old house we had the tv mounted above the fireplace. I was 100% positive I didn't want to do that again because I really wanted to be able to decorate the mantel for different holidays and parties. So I'd been searching for an inexpensive solution for a while. I had a small mirror I got at Hobby Lobby up there, but it just wasn't big enough.


I knew I wanted a mirror or old window frame. But this one just wasn't cutting it.


So I found this amazingly gorgeous mirror at a local thrift shop.



It's about 30" x 45" or so and was perfect! They wanted $120 for it though and that wasn't in my price range. Luckily I have an amazing husband and he went in and negotiated with them and got it for just $60!! I can do that! Although I did like the gold I didn't really like it with my decor. I am slowly becoming a fan of gold. I used to hate it, but I'm really liking it with other soft colors lately. So I stuck it up on the mantel and gave it a go, but quickly realized it wasn't working for me. 




I also noticed that some of the gold paint was chipping off.



So I decided painting it would be best for me. I had some extra paint from my son's lego table in the garage. It's a great darker teal color. It's by Valspar and it's called Perfect Storm. It's interior satin latex, not chalk paint so I was taking a chance. I almost always use regular latex paint for my projects since it's so much more affordable, but I didn't know how it would hold on the frame. I started by cleaning it with just water. I didn't want to chip anymore gold off than I could manage. I then used a cut up paper bag and slid it under the frame to protect the mirror while I painted.



I wanted some of the gold to come through the paint color so I just took a pretty dry brush with only a little bit of paint on it and kind of brushed and stippled it on the frame. I did one corner and let it dry to make sure it was going to hold well since it wasn't chalk paint. It worked great!


You can see in the next picture how it was "dry brushed". You can see a lot of gold scratches/brush strokes coming through the teal paint. This is what I was going for.


I did decide to go ahead and do another light coat to get a deeper teal color. Here is how it turned out. You can still clearly see gold coming through.



And here is how it looks in the house! I think the bigger mirror looks much better. I still need to finish decorating the mantel, and we are planning to add an extension to the mantel soon. It's very narrow and hard to decorate. That will be a project I'll post later. ;) But in the mean time, I'm loving my new shabby chic mirror! 






And I love that you can still see all the ornate details and the gold coming through the paint. It was such an easy project, and I only used about 1/3 of a sample jar of paint!






If you happen to be lucky enough to have one of these older mirrors hanging around and want a change I suggest trying this! It was fun, easy and pretty inexpensive. My kind of project! 

Thanks for reading and I hope to begin blogging a little more frequently, so stay tuned!

0 comments:

Post a Comment